Halal Meat

Jan Leeming

Shoreham 2007

Shoreham Airshow 2007
Me looking brave before taking to the air (and the wing) of the plane. Wow, it was cold !! But the whole experience was totally exhilarating.



2021 - July (2)
2021 - May (6)
2021 - April (4)
2021 - March (5)
2021 - February (4)
2021 - January (3)
2020 - October (1)
2020 - September (4)
2020 - August (5)
2020 - July (2)
2020 - June (1)
2020 - May (2)

All - 2021 (24)
All - 2020 (17)
All - 2019 (7)
All - 2018 (17)
All - 2017 (65)
All - 2016 (107)
All - 2015 (52)
All - 2014 (112)
All - 2013 (143)
All - 2012 (109)
All - 2011 (119)
All - 2010 (85)
All - 2009 (85)
All - 2008 (49)
All - 2007 (2)
All - 2006 (3)


Jan's Blog

Computers and the internet are amazing things. One of my concerns with putting together this site was that it could remain current, yet with all my travelling I've often much to say, but little time to say it. Years ago when reading the news it would take me days on end to reply to the kind letters people sent. Now, with the magic of the modern age, I can keep you up to date with what I'm doing and other events in my life.


Date: 16th May 2014

Dare I write about this subject!   Well it is supposed to be a free country.

I am not a great meat eater and haven't eaten lamb and veal for 50 years.  I try to source what little meat I do eat from organic sources.  I don't think any form of killing animals is particularly pleasant but I find halal killing quite objectionable.

I think it is appalling that supermarkets have taken the cheaper option and have been selling halal meat to the unsuspecting customer.  I say the cheaper option because, in certain areas in order to please their clientele they stock halal and don't want to go to the trouble of having separate areas for sorting and displaying.  Even schools are serving halal because they don't have 2 kitchens.

I know we are not  very 'church-going or God fearing' any more in this country but we are still very much in the majority and it is not right that we are subjected to minority religious tastes.  I'm afraid I believe in the old maxim that 'When in Rome do as the Romans do' - and if these different religions wish to carry out, what I see as their barbarous slaughter, then it should not be inflicted on an unsuspecting populace.  They have their own specialist shops where they can buy Halal to their heart's content.  

Many of these religious ways are based on Mediaeval customs which, in many instances, were  brought about because animals were kept and slaughtered in unhgienic conditions and were themselves unhygienic.   I understand that Jews do not eat pork because, in the dim and distant past, pigs were carriers of worms.  So many  of these religious observances are based on outdated reasoning. 

History is subjective and so is religion which is based on interpretation.  You can't re-invent the wheel so why are we being pulled backwards to customs which are, in many cases, no longer relevant. I understand that Sikhs are not supposed to eat Halal, Hindus don't eat beef so where do you end up.  I don't think we, the majority, should be subjected to the religious beliefs/customs of the few.  I read that Muslims comprise 5% of the populaltion of this land so why should their needs be put ahead of the other 95%.

As always we are being dictated to by the Londoncentric Politicians who see very little outside the bubble of the metropolis.  London is not representative of a huge swathe of the remainder of our country.  There are areas of this England where they have never seen a 'foreigner', a hijab, a turban or a man wearing a skull cap and where everyone they meet speaks their own language.  

I am even more pleased that I'm close to being a vegetarian - this latest row might just push me over the edge.


What do you think? Send your feedback to contact@jan-leeming.com.